Close Menu
  • O NAMA
  • KONTAKT
  • UVJETI KORIšTENJA
  • NASLOVNICA
  • VIJESTI
    • Hrvatska
    • Svijet
    • Politika
    • Crna kronika
    • Novosti iz regije
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
    • Nogomet
    • Košarka
    • Tenis
    • Rukomet
    • F-1 i auto-moto
    • Fight
    • Ostali sportovi
  • ZABAVA
    • Lifestyle
    • Turizam i putovanja
    • Zdravlje i hrana
    • Kućni ljubimci
  • CELEBRITY/ INFL
  • FILM / GLAZBA
  • AUTO MOTO
    • Auto-moto vijesti
    • Testovi
    • Motocikli
    • Tuning & styling & servis
    • Oldtimeri
  • TECH
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
times-news.eu
Pretplatite se
  • NASLOVNICA
  • VIJESTI
    • Hrvatska
    • Svijet
    • Politika
    • Crna kronika
    • Novosti iz regije
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
    • Nogomet
    • Košarka
    • Tenis
    • Rukomet
    • F-1 i auto-moto
    • Fight
    • Ostali sportovi
  • ZABAVA
    • Lifestyle
    • Turizam i putovanja
    • Zdravlje i hrana
    • Kućni ljubimci
  • CELEBRITY/ INFL
  • FILM / GLAZBA
  • AUTO MOTO
    • Auto-moto vijesti
    • Testovi
    • Motocikli
    • Tuning & styling & servis
    • Oldtimeri
  • TECH
times-news.eu
You are at:Home»Politika»UK must ‘actively prepare’ for war scenario, government warns
Politika

UK must ‘actively prepare’ for war scenario, government warns

June 24, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read0 Views
Share
Kate Whannel

Political reporter

Getty Images Five people in combat uniforms carrying guns and kneeling by a roadside in the countrysideGetty Images

The UK must “actively prepare for the possibility of the UK coming under direct threat, potentially in a wartime scenario,” the government has warned.

Its national security strategy, it said the nation was “in an era in which we face confrontation with those who are threatening security” and pointed to Russia’s war against Ukraine as “the most obvious and pressing example of this”.

The document also referred to “Iranian hostile activity on British soil” and “adversaries” planning how to disrupt energy or supply chains.

It called for an “all-of-society effort” to make the UK more secure, adding the country would “have to pull together”.

The document was released at the same time as a summit of Nato – a defence alliance of European North American nations – began in the Netherlands.

At the gathering, leaders of the 32 nations are set to commit to increasing their security spending to 5% of national income by 2035, made up of 3.5% on core military spending and 1.5% on broader security expenditure.

Speaking in the House of Commons, Cabinet Office minister Pat McFadden said the strategy offered a “plan that is both clear-eyed and hard-edged about the challenges we face.”

He said the strategy aimed to bolster border security, improve co-ordination with allies and boost the UK’s capabilities in areas such as shipbuilding, nuclear power and artificial intelligence (AI).

McFadden also said the government would be spending £1bn on a “new network of national biosecurity centres” aimed at improving the UK’s defences against biological attacks.

The strategy said the UK had to reduce “our dependence on others, including the ability of adversaries to coerce or manipulate us”.

The strategy said threats from other countries were on the rise, and that the UK had been “directly threatened by hostile activities including assassination, intimidation, espionage, sabotage, cyber attacks and other forms of democratic interference”.

Adversaries were spreading disinformation and using social media to stoke “tensions between generations, genders and ethnic groups,” it said.

Critical infrastructure such as undersea cables would “continue to be a target”, the document added.

McFadden told MPs the government would be “clear-eyed” about how it engaged with major powers such as China “where we must protect our national security and promote our economic interests”.

Immediately after McFadden addressed MPs, Foreign Secretary David Lammy gave a statement in Parliament on the government’s China audit, which examined the UK’s relationship with Beijing.

He said the audit would not be published because it contained classified material, but set out a summary of its findings.

He described China as a “sophisticated and persistent threat” but said the country’s power was “an inescapable fact”.

“Not engaging with China is therefore no choice at all,” he said, as he acknowledged the government’s desire for a trade relationship with the superpower.

He said the UK’s approach would be grounded in “progressive realism… taking the world as it is, not as we wish it to be”.

“We will co-operate where we can and we will challenge where we must,” he said, adding that meant “never compromising on our national security”.

Conservative shadow foreign secretary Priti Patel said the audit failed to set up “any kind of serious strategic framework”.

“And we know why – the government has gone cap in hand to China to bail out its terrible handling of the British economy,” she added.

Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram
Previous ArticleSlobodna Dalmacija – Zašto je zemlja toliko skupa? Cijene oranica i livada vrtoglavo skaču. Evo koliko koštaju, brojke će vas iznenaditi!
Next Article British man charged with organising Disneyland Paris “mock wedding” of nine-year-old

Related Posts

Hrvatski stočari najavili prosvjede u Vukovaru: Ministru Vlajčiću poručeno “Radite ili dajte ostavku!”

August 22, 2025

U Hrvatskoj se razmatra obveza poznavanja jezika za strane radnike

August 20, 2025

EU i Francuska snažno osudile izraelsko rušenje škole u izgradnji na Zapadnoj obali

August 20, 2025
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Recent Posts
  • Europolova Operacija ‘DECOY II’ Zaustavila Krivotvoritelje Valute: Hrvatska Među 18 Zemalja Sudionica
  • Hrvatske plaće nadmašile češke, ali raste zabrinutost za tržište rada
  • Mješovita kretanja dionica Končar Grupe na Zagrebačkoj burzi unatoč blagom rastu indeksa
  • Hrvatska inflacija nastavlja rasti treći mjesec zaredom, svrstana među najviše stope u Eurozoni
  • Izrada vijesti nije moguća: Izvorni materijal nije priložen
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram TikTok

Europolova Operacija ‘DECOY II’ Zaustavila Krivotvoritelje Valute: Hrvatska Među 18 Zemalja Sudionica

Hrvatske plaće nadmašile češke, ali raste zabrinutost za tržište rada

Mješovita kretanja dionica Končar Grupe na Zagrebačkoj burzi unatoč blagom rastu indeksa

Neuspjeh u dohvaćanju vijesti: Tehničke poteškoće spriječile potvrdu objave

Valamar donosi ESPA: Prvi luksuzni wellness centar svjetski poznatog brenda otvara se u Istri

Alat za pregledavanje naišao na tehničku prepreku u prikupljanju podataka

  • O NAMA
  • KONTAKT
  • UVJETI KORIšTENJA

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.