Close Menu
  • O NAMA
  • KONTAKT
  • UVJETI KORIšTENJA
  • NASLOVNICA
  • VIJESTI
    • Hrvatska
    • Svijet
    • Politika
    • Crna kronika
    • Novosti iz regije
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
    • Nogomet
    • Košarka
    • Tenis
    • Rukomet
    • F-1 i auto-moto
    • Fight
    • Ostali sportovi
  • ZABAVA
    • Lifestyle
    • Turizam i putovanja
    • Zdravlje i hrana
    • Kućni ljubimci
  • CELEBRITY/ INFL
  • FILM / GLAZBA
  • AUTO MOTO
    • Auto-moto vijesti
    • Testovi
    • Motocikli
    • Tuning & styling & servis
    • Oldtimeri
  • TECH
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
times-news.eu
Pretplatite se
  • NASLOVNICA
  • VIJESTI
    • Hrvatska
    • Svijet
    • Politika
    • Crna kronika
    • Novosti iz regije
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
    • Nogomet
    • Košarka
    • Tenis
    • Rukomet
    • F-1 i auto-moto
    • Fight
    • Ostali sportovi
  • ZABAVA
    • Lifestyle
    • Turizam i putovanja
    • Zdravlje i hrana
    • Kućni ljubimci
  • CELEBRITY/ INFL
  • FILM / GLAZBA
  • AUTO MOTO
    • Auto-moto vijesti
    • Testovi
    • Motocikli
    • Tuning & styling & servis
    • Oldtimeri
  • TECH
times-news.eu
You are at:Home»Politika»Keir Starmer confirms No 10 is offering concessions to Labour welfare rebels | Welfare
Politika

Keir Starmer confirms No 10 is offering concessions to Labour welfare rebels | Welfare

June 26, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read0 Views
Share

Keir Starmer has confirmed Downing Street is offering concessions to rebel Labour MPs to get his welfare bill over the line.

The prime minister told the Commons he wanted “values of fairness” to underpin the legislation so the government could “get this right” on fixing the broken benefits system.

With cabinet ministers and his chief of staff, Morgan McSweeney, deployed to win over rebels, Starmer said conversations over changes to his proposals would “continue in the coming days” in the run-up to the vote on Tuesday.

The Guardian revealed on Wednesday that Downing Street was considering watering down changes to the eligibility rules for disability benefits, which had been significantly tightened by the changes in the bill.

More than 120 MPs are poised to rebel and there remains division at the top of government over how to stem the growing anger.

Concessions under consideration include changes to the points needed to be eligible for personal independence payments (Pip), a benefit paid to those in and out of work. MPs also want changes made to other proposals affecting the health top-up for universal credit, which applies to those who cannot work.

After Starmer fuelled further anger by dismissing the backlash as “noises off”, the prime minister took a more conciliatory tone when he addressed the Commons on his return from the Nato summit in The Hague.

“I recognise there is a consensus across the house on the urgent need for reform of our welfare system, because the British people deserve protection and dignity when they are unable to work, and support into work when they can,” he said. “At the moment, they are failed every single day by the broken system created by the Conservatives, which achieves neither.

skip past newsletter promotion

Our morning email breaks down the key stories of the day, telling you what’s happening and why it matters

Privacy Notice: Newsletters may contain info about charities, online ads, and content funded by outside parties. For more information see our Privacy Policy. We use Google reCaptcha to protect our website and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

after newsletter promotion

“I know colleagues across the house are eager to start fixing that, and so am I, and that all colleagues want to get this right, and so do I. We want to see reform implemented with Labour values of fairness. That conversation will continue in the coming days, so we can begin making change together on Tuesday.”

Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram
Previous ArticleSlobodna Dalmacija – Završena rasprava na suđenju Mariju Banožiću. Ključni svjedok: ‘Ne znam zašto policija tvrdi da nisam bio tamo’
Next Article Trump calls on Israel end to Netanyahu corruption trial

Related Posts

Hrvatski stočari najavili prosvjede u Vukovaru: Ministru Vlajčiću poručeno “Radite ili dajte ostavku!”

August 22, 2025

U Hrvatskoj se razmatra obveza poznavanja jezika za strane radnike

August 20, 2025

EU i Francuska snažno osudile izraelsko rušenje škole u izgradnji na Zapadnoj obali

August 20, 2025
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Recent Posts
  • Europolova Operacija ‘DECOY II’ Zaustavila Krivotvoritelje Valute: Hrvatska Među 18 Zemalja Sudionica
  • Hrvatske plaće nadmašile češke, ali raste zabrinutost za tržište rada
  • Mješovita kretanja dionica Končar Grupe na Zagrebačkoj burzi unatoč blagom rastu indeksa
  • Hrvatska inflacija nastavlja rasti treći mjesec zaredom, svrstana među najviše stope u Eurozoni
  • Izrada vijesti nije moguća: Izvorni materijal nije priložen
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram TikTok

Europolova Operacija ‘DECOY II’ Zaustavila Krivotvoritelje Valute: Hrvatska Među 18 Zemalja Sudionica

Hrvatske plaće nadmašile češke, ali raste zabrinutost za tržište rada

Mješovita kretanja dionica Končar Grupe na Zagrebačkoj burzi unatoč blagom rastu indeksa

Neuspjeh u dohvaćanju vijesti: Tehničke poteškoće spriječile potvrdu objave

Valamar donosi ESPA: Prvi luksuzni wellness centar svjetski poznatog brenda otvara se u Istri

Alat za pregledavanje naišao na tehničku prepreku u prikupljanju podataka

  • O NAMA
  • KONTAKT
  • UVJETI KORIšTENJA

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.