Close Menu
  • O NAMA
  • KONTAKT
  • UVJETI KORIšTENJA
  • NASLOVNICA
  • VIJESTI
    • Hrvatska
    • Svijet
    • Politika
    • Crna kronika
    • Novosti iz regije
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
    • Nogomet
    • Košarka
    • Tenis
    • Rukomet
    • F-1 i auto-moto
    • Fight
    • Ostali sportovi
  • ZABAVA
    • Lifestyle
    • Turizam i putovanja
    • Zdravlje i hrana
    • Kućni ljubimci
  • CELEBRITY/ INFL
  • FILM / GLAZBA
  • AUTO MOTO
    • Auto-moto vijesti
    • Testovi
    • Motocikli
    • Tuning & styling & servis
    • Oldtimeri
  • TECH
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Threads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
times-news.eu
Pretplatite se
  • NASLOVNICA
  • VIJESTI
    • Hrvatska
    • Svijet
    • Politika
    • Crna kronika
    • Novosti iz regije
  • BUSINESS
  • SPORT
    • Nogomet
    • Košarka
    • Tenis
    • Rukomet
    • F-1 i auto-moto
    • Fight
    • Ostali sportovi
  • ZABAVA
    • Lifestyle
    • Turizam i putovanja
    • Zdravlje i hrana
    • Kućni ljubimci
  • CELEBRITY/ INFL
  • FILM / GLAZBA
  • AUTO MOTO
    • Auto-moto vijesti
    • Testovi
    • Motocikli
    • Tuning & styling & servis
    • Oldtimeri
  • TECH
times-news.eu
You are at:Home»Politika»Labour MPs press Liz Kendall on rollout of benefit changes
Politika

Labour MPs press Liz Kendall on rollout of benefit changes

June 30, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read0 Views
Share
Kate Whannel

Politics reporter

House of Commons Liz Kendall speaking in Parliament. She is leaning on the despatch box, and in the process of answering a question. She is wearing a white blouse, and in front of her are her reading glasses.House of Commons

Work and Pensions Secretary Liz Kendall has faced repeated questions from Labour MPs over the rollout of changes to the benefit system, as the government attempts to defuse a backbench rebellion.

As part of a U-turn last week, the government said stricter eligibility criteria for getting the personal independence payment (Pip) would only apply to those claiming after November 2026, rather than existing claimants.

It also promised a review into the assessment process in partnership with disability organisations, due to be completed in autumn 2026.

But many Labour backbenchers questioned the rationale for making changes to the qualifying criteria before the review was finished.

Kendall said any recommendations from the review – to be led by disability minister Sir Stephen Timms – would be implemented “as soon as possible” following its completion.

She added that the Timms review would not be “driven by an objective of making savings” adding: “It’s about making sure that this really vital benefit is fair and fit for the future.”

Pip assessments involve questions about tasks like preparing and eating food, washing and getting dressed. Each is scored from zero – for no difficulty, to 12 – for the most severe.

Under the government’s proposed system, new claimants would have to score at least four points for one activity to qualify for the benefit, instead of qualifying for support across a broad range of tasks.

Debbie Abrahams, chair of the work and pensions committee, said: “If this is being truly co-produced with disabled people in their organisations, the review should determine both the new process, the new points and the new descriptors, and we shouldn’t predetermine it at four points.”

Dame Meg Hillier – chair of the Treasury Committee – asked Kendall for “the rationale for settling on those four points in one category prior to the Timms review”.

Another Labour MP, Sarah Owens, asked: “What is the logic of making changes to future claimants before producing the Timms review?”

The government was forced into a climbdown after more than 120 Labour MPs – including Dame Meg and Abrahams – threatened to block the Universal Credit and Personal Independence Payments Bill.

Ministers had hoped concessions made last week had reassured MPs, although around 50 Labour MPs are still expected to oppose the bill.

Speaking in Parliament, Kendall said she had “listened carefully” and was “making positive changes as a result”.

As a result of changes to the bill, no existing claimant would be pushed into poverty, she said.

She also defended the need for the bill telling MPs that the government had inherited a system that was “failing on all fronts”.

“The welfare state must be fair, both for those who need support and for taxpayers, so it is sustainable for generations to come.”

Conservative shadow work and pensions secretary Helen Whately said the government had produced a “rushed and chaotic compromise” which would save £2.5bn from a £100bn bill.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch, later confirmed her party would be voting against the bill, arguing it did not offer “serious welfare reform”.

Liberal Democrat spokesman Steve Darling said the legislation was rushed and warned it would lead to “unintended consequences”.

Some MPs raised concern that a “two-tier” system would be created if the government restricted eligibility for new claimants.

Kendall defended the move arguing that the benefits system “often protects existing claimants from new rates or new rules, because lives have been built around that support, and it’s often very hard for people to adjust”.

Earlier in the day the government produced new modelling estimating that around 150,000 people would be pushed into poverty by 2030 as a result of the welfare cuts – lower than the 250,000 predicted before the government’s U-turn.

A Downing Street spokesman said the modelling “doesn’t reflect the full picture” and was “subject to uncertainty”.

Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram
Previous ArticleSlobodna Dalmacija – Presretači na A1 zaustavili 32-godišnjeg turista koji je vozio 120 km/h više od dozvoljenog! Kazna nije mala…
Next Article Senate kicks off final debate on Trump’s ‘one big beautiful bill’; US to restart Canada trade talks immediately – live | US news

Related Posts

Hrvatski stočari najavili prosvjede u Vukovaru: Ministru Vlajčiću poručeno “Radite ili dajte ostavku!”

August 22, 2025

U Hrvatskoj se razmatra obveza poznavanja jezika za strane radnike

August 20, 2025

EU i Francuska snažno osudile izraelsko rušenje škole u izgradnji na Zapadnoj obali

August 20, 2025
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Recent Posts
  • Europolova Operacija ‘DECOY II’ Zaustavila Krivotvoritelje Valute: Hrvatska Među 18 Zemalja Sudionica
  • Hrvatske plaće nadmašile češke, ali raste zabrinutost za tržište rada
  • Mješovita kretanja dionica Končar Grupe na Zagrebačkoj burzi unatoč blagom rastu indeksa
  • Hrvatska inflacija nastavlja rasti treći mjesec zaredom, svrstana među najviše stope u Eurozoni
  • Izrada vijesti nije moguća: Izvorni materijal nije priložen
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram TikTok

Europolova Operacija ‘DECOY II’ Zaustavila Krivotvoritelje Valute: Hrvatska Među 18 Zemalja Sudionica

Hrvatske plaće nadmašile češke, ali raste zabrinutost za tržište rada

Mješovita kretanja dionica Končar Grupe na Zagrebačkoj burzi unatoč blagom rastu indeksa

Neuspjeh u dohvaćanju vijesti: Tehničke poteškoće spriječile potvrdu objave

Valamar donosi ESPA: Prvi luksuzni wellness centar svjetski poznatog brenda otvara se u Istri

Alat za pregledavanje naišao na tehničku prepreku u prikupljanju podataka

  • O NAMA
  • KONTAKT
  • UVJETI KORIšTENJA

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.